I have been meaning to write an update for weeks now, but things have been a little crazy for the Glossons, so there hasn't been much time for blogging and such. It seems like the days fly by now and I can't really keep up. Such is life I suppose.
October came and went like a tornado, and boy was there lots of wind! First of all, I have been spending 2.5 hours in my car each day to drive back and forth for a job I lucked into. It's just temporary, but at this rate it appears I will be here until Christmas. "Huh?!"
Well, just as I was making preparations to take a band director's maternity leave in Rutherford County, I get a phone call from a very nice lady who works with my mom (and happens to be the music/band teacher at the school who I have been subbing for 3-6 days/month since school started), "So, could you sub for me this week? My husband's chemo isn't going so well." I, of course, was more than willing to help her out. Then, halfway through that week, she said that her husband would be needing constant care at home. She decided that taking a leave of absence would be the best idea for her family and the school, so naturally they asked (more like begged) me to take it. Her husband passed away last week, but there still has been no hints at her coming back before Christmas.
So, for the past 3 weeks, I have been in complete control of a music program. I make the lesson plans, assign grades, run the fruit sale fundraiser, pick music for the Winter Concert, etc. I am happy to have something that is paying well and giving me a sense of stability, but at the same time I really feel like I am having to step around carefully. I don't want to seem like I am taking over, but there is no way I can do things the same way this lady would have done. We do not think alike, we have completely different educational and cultural backgrounds, and we handle the classroom differently. I am trying to keep things going but still maintain my personal philosophy of music education...but boy is it tough! I am not sure how much longer I will be here at this point, and that is also causing frustration. Overall, though, I can't complain. I have a job that will help my resume and the principal can't say enough good things about me. So that's a plus.
Also, we are getting ready to move for the first time in 3.5 years. Why? Well, we have been talking about getting a bigger place that will allow for us to have friends over for dinner, family to stay from out of town, and just not be so cramped. But, for the past two weeks, we have come home on several occasions to the destruction and company of a squirrel. Not only is this just gross and scary, but the apartment management seems to not care. They simply send a maintenance man to help "catch" the squirrel, then do nothing. They have not made attempts to figure out how the critter is getting into the building or call animal control. So, we have decided to just move when our lease is over in December. We have found some good deals and will be touring places this weekend. Sadly we are no where near ready to buy, so we are just looking for a nice place to rent for a year or two until we are (fingers crossed) ready to buy.
Not much else exciting to report, but I feel those are some big things. Hopefully my next entry won't be too far in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment