A peek in the daily life of an aspiring educator and wife.

Monday, December 12, 2011

"It's the most wonderful time of the year..."

Christmas is creeping around the corner, yet I don't even feel like it is December.  Things have been so crazy lately that time just seems to pass and I'm left looking around and feeling confused.  Go figure.

Last week was the Winter Concert for the band kiddos I have been teaching this semester.  I was very worried about how the concert would go, but it ended up being okay overall.  We only had a couple kids missing (the flu is starting...) and we had over 80 people here to listen to 20 kids.  Everyone was very complimentary and seemingly surprised at the concert and I was out of here by 8:30 pm, which is amazing itself.

Casey & I also moved into our new apartment over the weekend.  It is amazing!  New carpet, fresh paint, over 400 more square feet than our previous place, and quiet so far.  We are still working on unpacking and getting everything in order, so I will wait to post pictures until it looks like an apartment and not a giant dwelling of boxes.  We had some amazing friends & family help us move everything, too!

Between all the moving expenses and costs involved with the concert (feeding kids that had to stay after school and refreshments for the "reception" after the concert), though, we are very tight on money.  As in, had to borrow some money from parents for gas and food...something we haven't had to do since we got married.  My pay has been crazy and scattered, and it is hard to swing rent at two places + deposits + other fees + daily essentials on one person's salary.  See, substitutes at the school where I am currently working for the lady on leave get paid on the 15th, but teachers get paid on the 30th.  Since this lady ran out of sick days part of the way through her leave, I am getting partial pay as a sub and partial as a teacher.  Luckily I will be getting paid a full teacher salary for November & December, but because of all of the paperwork involved and such, I am having to wait until December 30 to get that pay.  So, not much money for Christmas shopping, etc.

I have also been desperately searching for job openings, but so far nothing much is out there.  We are eagerly awaiting the time when I get a job, but the longer I wait, the more I get discouraged.  It is a tough job market for teachers just as much as anyone else, especially in areas that are not considered "core curriculum" and are starting to get chopped with budget cuts.  I am hoping something comes around soon, though!  It would be awesome to be able to contribute to our bills more and have decent insurance.  *fingers crossed*

No comments:

Post a Comment