A peek in the daily life of an aspiring educator and wife.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Happenings with The Glossons

We have been keeping busy lately between work, catching up with friends, and just trying to keep the apartment in order.  Things have been going really well for us, though, and I can't think of much that would make life better right now (well, maybe just a few things...).  We are both quite happy and loving life!

First and foremost, the interim position I started in October has been extended yet again, so now I've got steady income until the end of the school year (around mid-May).  The situation of how this position has temporarily opened up isn't the best story, but I am getting experience and making a full teacher salary at the moment.  There are, of course, rumors that the lady may never come back and I could luck into the job, but it is really just a waiting game.

The money, however, is coming in handy.  We wracked up more than a little credit card debt from the summer/early Fall, so our first priority has been to pay that down.  We have paid off two cards, and have one left to go.  We have also made big dents in my student loans, too.  The current plan with these next two paychecks (April & May) is to pay off the last card and pay off one of my loans completely.  This will allow for us to better manage being a one-income household over the summer while I (hopefully!) land a permanent teaching job.  Plus, with all that debt off our back, we are going to be able to start paying extra on the car and start putting a little in savings for the future.

We are also still working on our weight and general health.  We've both made great progress so far.  I am hoping to have lost 5 more lbs. by mid-April, and I'd really like to be under 170 by summer.  My final goal, of course, is to be an average weight for my height, so I've got to get under 150.  We have started playing a little tennis, I have been doing some walking in the afternoons, and we are looking into purchasing bicycles so we can start riding again.

We are mostly settled into our apartment at this point.  We think we are going to be able to stay here for another year beyond our lease (up in December), then get ready to buy a house.  Another year will really give us time to save, plus figure out where we really want to settle.  If I end up with a job where I am now, options are Murfreesboro, Columbia, Spring Hill, or Franklin.  We'd like to stay in Middle TN, so those are good options along with Lebanon, Nashville, or other suburbs of Nashville.  The big factor is going to be where I get a job, so we are planning to just stay put for now.

We are also hoping to take a trip to visit family in Seattle this summer.  Casey gets lots of vacation time, I will be off in the summer, and we haven't seen his sister, her husband, and our super cute nephew in a couple years.  We are still in the planning stages, but it is looking like we will be able to do it now that I'm going to be making some extra money.  Yay, vacation!

Nothing else exciting yet, folks.  Here's to hoping for a great rest of spring and an awesome summer that is full of excitement for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment