A peek in the daily life of an aspiring educator and wife.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

So, it has been almost 3 weeks to the day that my husband and I started Weight Watchers.  So far I have stayed within my points (with the help of the "Weekly Points" they give you in addition to your daily amount).  I have lost about 15 lbs, which seems insane, but I am sure I will hit a point soon where it starts to get a lot harder.  I can say, though, that I have become a lot more attentive to what I eat and have started to make some different choices both at home and when we eat out.  Some of the choices have been easy to make, some are struggles.  The proof of watching the number on the scale drop each week is proof for me that it is worth it, though!

Here are some changes I have made so far:
1) Stocking the House with Lots of Fresh Produce--The nice thing about Weight Watchers is that all fruits and most vegetables (sorry, potatoes...) are "power foods" and are also zero points, which means you can eat as much as you want anytime.  I have found myself reaching for carrot sticks or grapes instead of chips and popcorn when I need a snack now, plus we are making sure every meal we eat includes a few "free" items.

2) Eating Breakfast EVERY Morning:  I have developed an enjoyment for sleeping until the last possible second over the years, so many times breakfast would get skipped or involve a drive-thru or convenience store to save on time.  Since we started Weight Watchers, though, I have been making sure to eat something or grab something from home before I walk out the door.  Bananas are great, and we have found that Eggos are actually pretty low on the points scale.

3)  "Can I get a side salad instead of the fries?"--Most places offer a salad or fruit cup as a substitute for the beloved fries.  And, guess what?  As long as you don't get ranch dressing with the salad, you can usually get just as filled for a lot less points.  You do have to watch out for cheese and croutons on the salad, but as long as it isn't loaded with cheese, it should be ok.  (Note: This has been one of the hardest changes for me because I LOVE fries.)

4) Bunless Sandwich Options--Bread is high in carbs, which means it is high points in Weight Watchers.  Lots of places offer the option to get your sub or sandwich "in a tub" (as a salad), or, my favorite, Jimmy John's allows you to get your sandwich as an "Unwich," meaning it is wrapped in a big piece of lettuce.  Also, we found that rye bread is actually pretty low in points in comparison to whole grain, wheat, or white bread.  (Note:  This has also been a hard choice for me because I really do like bread and sandwiches.)

5) Water vs. Milk--I have always loved milk, but turns out that even skim milk costs you points.  So, I have been drinking a lot less milk and a lot more water.  This is probably good and bad, but I am still learning how to eat within the points and still feel satisfied, so it has been a cut I have needed to make.  I hope I can go back to drinking at least a little milk once I get better at the points management and choosing best options.

Those are the big things I have changed up so far, but I am sure I will find more corners to cut and ways to improve.  So far, Weight Watchers has totally been worth it, and I am hoping to reach my target weight by the end of the year.  Then the trick comes to maintain...hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment