I was very lucky to have the opportunity to serve as a staff member at a high school marching band camp again this year. Although it requires being out in the sun and on my feet for 8-10 hours/day for 5-7 days, I absolutely love working with the students and learning new things. This year was somewhat different from years past, though...and I liked it.
Here's a quick list of the differences:
1) I was referred to as "Mrs. Glosson" instead of "Megan."
This may seem silly, but I felt more like an adult and less like a child/college kid. Go figure.
2) I actually contributed to musical changes/additions and drill writing.
Not only did I feel able to contribute suggestions, but I was actually consulted for my opinion on more than one occasion. I felt more like part of the team and useful, plus I was pretty pleased that I seemed to remember so much from methods classes, etc. I also owe some thanks to my cooperating teachers during student teaching for pushing me so much and really educating me.
3) There was no drama or under qualified staff members.
Something I have observed over the years is that asking alumni back to work as staff members is not always the best idea. This year there was a lot less of that and it seemed to work well. Although we ended up with a lot less staff, the people that were there really seemed to be there to work and not make friends with the students or complained about everything. I will probably not ask alumni back if I get a high school gig of my own, nor will I ask people who are not qualified.
4) I absolutely loved working with the students, seeing the progress, and feeling a passion for what I was doing.
I have spent the past 6 months doing nothing but working in retail. I have felt a giant hole and complete lack of interest in anything. Quitting my job and getting back into teaching, if even for a brief week, has me fired up again. I feel amazing!
I had an amazing week and can't wait to get a job! Now to get back to job hunting and fixing up my resume some more...
No comments:
Post a Comment