Today marked the closing of the books on Year #6 of my teaching career today. It still seems like yesterday that I was driving all over the state, interviewing for countless jobs. After 6 years, I still feel "fresh off the boat" on my skills and teaching ability. I feel like I still struggle and am not doing the absolute best.
All that self-doubt aside, the interactions I had today left me feeling teary-eyed and very humbled. I had an alumni come to visit. I had so many students come to wish me a great summer, get a hug, or say goodbye. I got so many sweet gifts and cards. And here's what I kept seeing over and over: things like,
"Thank you for believing in me!"
"Thank you for teaching me so much about music!"
"Thank you for encouraging me!"
"Thank you for challenging me!"
...all of the sweet words that made my heart sing! It's like, without even saying how defeated and discouraged I have felt lately about my performance, the kids knew exactly what I needed to hear to start my summer and push me to really want to hit the ground running on how I can be a better teacher for them next year.
Summer will be a time to relax and recharge, yes. But summer will also be a time to reflect and refine. Every year I resolve to have an even better year than the previous, and with a little guidance and these words from my students, I think I can do this. I just have to believe...in myself for once.
No comments:
Post a Comment