A peek in the daily life of an aspiring educator and wife.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Light Before We Land


"The Light Before We Land"
By The Delgados



This song has been coming to my mind a lot lately. I'm not really sure why...or maybe I am. There are moments lately, more moments than I'd like to admit, where I feel exactly what I perceive this song to express: life has lost beauty, excitement, passion, meaning. But where else would I be?

"When things that once were beautiful are bland..."

Sometimes it's almost like I'm in a constant fall. Not like I've jumped out of an airplane, but like I lost my footing at the top of the mountain and just keep slowly rolling down. Sometimes I'll catch a ledge, hang on as long as I can, then continue to fall. I realize that we all have our days, but I don't feel like that's what it is. It is more that I just lack the ability to truly feel happy about ANYTHING. I'm just going through the motions, hoping nobody sees.

"If we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong...buy a little time for this head of mine..."

It's funny, for someone who prides herself on being genuine and honest to a fault, that I'm secretly trying to fool them all...and myself. It's not that I don't care, because I do: I care about my family, my friends, my girls, my husband. I just don't care about myself. I am careless, reckless, impartial to what happens to me. I think that's probably the most dangerous kind of apathy one can have, not caring if you wake up each morning or if you even get dressed.

"And when I feel like I can feel once again, let me stay awhile, soak it in a while..."

There are moments where I enjoy that moment. I wish I could freeze them. Just stay in that moment where my mind doesn't wander to the darkness; just feel the sunshine breaking through the clouds a moment longer.

...Because, in all reality, I'm scared of the dark.

...I'm scared of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment