A peek in the daily life of an aspiring educator and wife.

Thursday, June 1, 2017

The Language of Love

I have heard people talk about "The 5 Love Languages" and how EVERYONE needs to read it. Let's be honest, though: who has time to sit and read a book? Not this workaholic mama of two under 5! Luckily, though, there's a completely free quiz online that you can take in less than 5 minutes. If you are interested, you can do that here: http://www.5lovelanguages.com/profile/couples/

Basically here's the deal: there are 5 main ways people feel and understand love: physical touch, quality time, words of affirmation, acts of service, and receiving gifts. The quiz helps you and ranks all 5 of these languages in a scale. Why is this important? Well, it can actually tell you a lot about yourself. It can also help your partner understand how to show you love. Example: I scored "0" on the "receiving gifts" language. While obviously nobody hates getting a gift, that doesn't show me any sort of love or make me feel anything besides, "Oh, yay! A gift!" (In all actuality, I never know how to react when opening a gift...I find it extremely awkward and just don't really care even if it is something I genuinely wanted.) So, if my husband just buys me gifts thinking that I will take that as affirmation of love...it's not going to go so swell for me or him.

My two highest languages were tied: physical touch and quality time. I really have no idea why I never even thought or realized this because, let's be honest here: if you know me at all, I am all about hugs, Pat's on the back, high fives...all the touching of all the things all the time. I'm very tactical. And, again, if you are someone I consider a friend you probably get sick of me because I probably either come say "Hey!" to you at least once a day (if I can) or am constantly asking you when we can hang out. I feel like spending time together is meaningful, bottom line.

Casey also took it and lucky for us "quality time" was also one of his top two (he had that tied with "acts of service" which lucky for him I am pretty big on helping people). Unfortunately for me physical touch is #4 of  5 for him...😭

So, newfound resolution to make time for each other as a couple. Resolution to make time for meaningful time as a family. Resolution to be willing to let go of the kids for a few hours and just be with each other. Resolution to talk or play a board game after the girls go to bed.

I also am trying to be more mindful of being helpful and taking care of the house...

If you are struggling in your relationship, or even if you're not but just love continuing to learn about your partner and yourself along the journey of life, take a few minutes to take the quiz and see what your love language is. Could be very insightful and inspiring. My husband and I have been together for almost 11 years, living together for 9, and married for 8: we are still learning about ourselves, each other, and our love. It's pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment