A peek in the daily life of an aspiring educator and wife.

Sunday, July 9, 2017

The Performance: A Poem

So, I actually wrote this several years ago, but as I sat in an absolutely beautiful piano recital this evening, I suddenly remembered the poem and the feelings I felt the day I wrote it, which were very similar to the feelings today. Plus I've been too dark and twisty lately, so here's something completely different for those who have been enjoying my writing.

The Performance: A Poem by Megan (Jackson) Glosson
Heels clicking through the silence,
Lights rising, illuminating you more completely than ever before,
The sound of the piano rings and travels through the air.
You breathe, hoping it was enough, then release:
Elegance pours through the tube,
But inside there is nothing but fear.

You tremble, twitch, shake...
Grasping for air, but moving forward with courage,
A courage who has no source but does magic,
For soon your eyes are reading and fingers are moving,
But inside you are nowhere to be found.

Suddenly there is a freedom like never before,
Like the cross you bore has been lifted by an angel,
Leaving you free to soar along with the waves of sound you create:
A spirit defying time, space, gravity, and all other known science.

Soon you begin to fall back down to earth,
Becoming aware of the ringing of the tones through the air,
Then feeling the movement of the fingers and the releasing of oxygen.

The final notes land smoothly just as your soul lands in the body,
Then comes the silence...and the sound of hands beating together in time.

And once again, the world is right, even if it is just for a moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment