Day 7: Someone/Something That Has Made the Biggest Impact on You
Our lives are shaped by so many events, so many people, so many moments. This makes it hard for me to just write about one person or one thing that has had the "biggest" impact. There's no one piece of the puzzle that's more significant than the rest in my mind: you need each and every piece to see the entire picture. I'm going to try my best to keep it to just a small number tonight and hit the highlights if I can, though, with a few thank you messages to those who have done so much in my life.
To my band directors: thank you for lighting a fire in me that still burns bright nearly twenty years later. Thank you for giving me a beautiful way to express myself, connect with others, and process emotions. Thank you for encouraging me, pushing me, and caring about me. Thank you for letting me spend hours in the band room, for coming to visit me when I was in alternative school, for continuing to check in with me even when I was in college. Thank you for showing me that you can set high expectations, get great results, and still make things fun and positive. I am where I am today and the teacher I am because of each of you. I can only hope that someday I'm half as amazing as you guys!
To Kay Campbell and Mr. Ham plus all of the Academic Team crew: thank you for always helping me increase my knowledge and feeding my thirst for learning. Thank you for many wonderful Saturdays of buzzes and bus rides filled with history. Thank you for letting me be my crazy cool self and expressing the real me so freely.
To Mr. Jean & Bob Scott: thank you for feeding my love of the English language and expression through writing and theatrical productions. I'm almost certain that my continued love of writing, live theater, and ability to speak in public are because of your combined talents. Thank you for believing in me and cultivating my linguistic skills.
To Deanna, Celine, and all of the amazing people who I met at the MTSU Flute Studio: Thank you for believing in me even when I didn't believe in myself. Thank you for showing me that passion and hard work can pay off in time. Thank you for not letting me drown my first semester in college. Thank you for the endless numbers of spa parties and car rides on the rainy days or late nights. Thank you for listening to my scales over and over until I was ready for upper division. Thank you for letting me still see all the great things each of you are doing and inspiring me to continue to better myself. Thank you for National Etude Day and other nonsense days that made even the most mundane skills exciting to do. Thank you for Ian Clarke. Thank you for making me laugh until I almost peed my pants before studio recitals or any other performance I was scared of. Thank you for accepting me even though my talent was far less than all of yours.
To Casey: thank you for loving me even when I'm in pajamas. Thank you for sticking by my side at some of the most challenging of times. Thank you for being a fellow nerd and awkward turtle. Thank you for board games, Magic: The Gathering, and all the space exploration shows/movies. Thank you for our beautiful home and children. Thank you for supporting my writing and my career choices both now and in the future.
To Trustpoint Hospital: Thank you for the ADU. Thank you for IOP. Thank you Devon, Chloe, AJ, Rob, and Mei for being everything I needed even when I didn't know what it really was I even needed. Thank you for continuing to be a place I can go if I need to feel safe and for being people I can call if I ever need.
To Dr. Raphaeli and DBT: thank you for giving me all that you are. Everything is just as it should be, I'm doing the best that I can, and I am making progress.
To my friends past, present, or future: thank you for embracing the spunk and fire. Thank you for all that you've said, done, or shown me. Thank you for riding the waves with me, because there's always been waves at some point or another. Thank you fo the time you spent being my friend, no matter how short or long it lasted.
To everyone who reads this and everyone in my life: thank you for each day. You never know what your smile, your kindness, or your stories do for me. Thank you for making me who I am and joining me on my journey. Thank you for reading this crappy blog and all my other writings.
Day #7...I'm not sure this is what the prompt meant, but this is my version and my truth. Goodnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment